Tuesday, June 16, 2009

VBS and some funny moments this week...

We are doing VBS this week and our theme is "Paul." Our church follows a curriculum where the kids actually go back in time and live in that time period. Each group has a city name (ie. Corinth, Phillipi, Antioch, Athens, Ephesus, etc.) Regan is in the Phillipi group and Riley is in the Corinth group. Reece is in the preschool program. Anyway, they do all kinds of fun things such as Marketplace (crafts from the Roman times - I am helping in this location), Occupations (where they learn how to write with quill pens, see goats and horses, etc.), Visit an underground church, meet Paul while in house arrest, games, puppets, music, etc... It has been a great 2 days (very tiring) but great. The girls are learning a lot. The girls enjoy coming home each day and telling me what they did and learned. Reece made a cute funny yesterday...

Riley was telling me about meeting Paul and that he was in jail and was telling me how they decorated the room to look like a jail. Reece then chimed in and said "Paul was not in jail he was in the choir room." She was right in literal terms it is our choir room but for this week it is supposed to be a jail. We tried to convince her he was in jail but she would not budge on the fact that he was in choir!!! :)

Other comments this week....

Reece out of the blue asked Tony when she could be a mommy. Tony told her when she is much older and married. Then, Riley piped up and said, "Well, I am not going to marry someone like Daddy b/c Daddy eats all the Peanut Butter!!!" ;)

I was talking to one of Reece's Sunday School teachers today and a good friend of mine and she told me that when she takes Reece to the potty during class Reece will get up and flush the toilet with her foot. Yay, at least something I am teaching her is sinking in. ;) I thought it was so funny b/c when we are in public restrooms I do flush the toilet with my foot b/c I don't want to touch the nasty toilet. ;) My friend said she thought, "Oh boy that is so Kaylyn!" :) What I thought was funny was she was in a dress and just turned around and hiked up her foot and did it like it was second nature. :) --- BTW, for those of you wondering...I do wash my hands after I just still think it is gross to touch the flusher. :)

I am working in Marketplace this week at VBS and have been assigned to Carpentry. Not sure how that happened??? Anyway, I am supposed to take on the role of a carpenter and act like I am from Roman times. I was helping a little boy hammer and sand and we got talking about the nails. The nails we are using look like handmade nails from that time period and are much thicker and harder to drive into the wood. The boy was asking where I got the nails and I told him we made them. He looked at me strange and then asked "where we got all the wood." I told him we make our own wood out of trees. He said, "Well, my dad just goes to Home Depot." I replied, "Home what???" What is Home Depot???" I was doing my best to stay in my role. :) Our conversation was very lengthy - he was trying to explain to me what a Home Depot was and I tried to act as confused as possible. Then, he said, "he has TV and telephone." I said "What you live in Paphos" you do not have....what did you call that again? T V? What does T V stand for??? Boy did I have fun with that boy!!!! ;) Probably confused him to no end but it was very fun! :) Although Carpentry is hardwork and I am extremely exhausted already and it is only day 2 of VBS, I have to admit I am having fun! Hopefully, I can post some photos later in the week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was so funny b/c when we are in public restrooms I do flush the toilet with my foot b/c I don't want to touch the nasty toilet.

So, do you not wash your hands before you leave the toilet?

Those women Roman carpenters always had a sense of humour.

Kaylyn Fernandez said...

Will,

Yes, I do wash my hands and that is why is started making me wonder why I don't touch the flusher. :) My friend and I laughed about it. But, I think it is just the thought grosses me out so I don't.

I tell you, Carpentry is fun. I found a new way to take out my stress. :)