Saturday, September 10, 2011

Riley's First Hit!!!!

Riley took up softball this past spring.  She was one of the youngest on the team and also one of the only ones that did not have experience.  But, that did not phase Riley and she played hard and persevered.  What I loved best about Riley was her attitude.  She did not get any hits the whole season but she still loved the game and cheered her team on.  We all knew how much she wanted a hit but she did not let that get her down or give up.  Every time she would get up to bat the coaches, her teammates, the parents on the sidelines, and us were just hoping this would be the time she actually hit the ball.  She fouled tipped once or twice but never got a hit.  Riley's coach commented on how Riley does everything fast and she was usually ahead of the ball with her swing.  She just needed to get her timing down and we knew once she mastered that she would be hitting the ball more and more.  Tony worked with her at home, the coaches worked with her at practice and I prayed a lot.  Well, we ended the season with no hits but Riley would still tell you it was a fun season and she would do it all over again!  Tony and I learned so much from her wonderful attitude.  At the end of the season, the league had a "fun day" where all the players would come together for one more game.  There was not many players signed up so they had to combine the ages into one group.  So, there was 7 yr olds - 11 yr. olds playing in this game.  Tony took Riley to the game since it was in the middle of the day and it was HOT!  I wanted to go so badly because I was afraid I may miss Riley's first hit but we also knew the odds were slim and we did not want to make Reece and Regan sit in the heat.  Well, I should have gone with my mother instincts because Riley got her first hit!!!!!!  It was her last at bat and they got five swings each time batting.  She was on her last swing and she hit a grounder to third base.  There was a 10 yr. old playing at third and grabbed the ball and threw it to first but fast Riley made it to base just in time.  She was safe!!!!  Not only was she safe but she drove a run in!  She was so excited and so was everyone else that knew Riley's history.  She even got to run around all the bases because her teammates drove her in.  This was the first time she was able to run the bases too.  It was a great way to end the season.  Now, months later, we are heading to Riley's first fall season softball practice today.  I am very excited about what this season will be like for Riley.  Hopefully, it will be a season of many hits, but if not, I just pray she keeps her winner attitude and has fun!    

No comments: