Friday, January 18, 2013

Papa Doug and Mama Cook's Visit

On the weekend of October 25 - 29th, Papa Doug and Mama Cook came up to spend the weekend with us.  They arrived Thursday night and we all went out to dinner at Brixx's Pizza minus Tony because he had a meeting.  Friday, Reece had off of school so we joined Joe, Abby, Josh, Lizzie and the grandparents for a fun day at the park.    
The grandkids were so excited to see their Papa Doug and Mama Cook!!  However, they were not excited about getting their photo taken.  They are trying to hide from us in this picture.
Riley being silly in her fake glasses. 
Saturday was a full day of sports.  Regan and I ran a race in Danville, Virginia while Tony, Riley, Reece, Mama Cook and Papa Doug cheered us on.  Regan ran the 5K and I ran the Half Marathon; however, our races started at the same time and for the first 2 miles were the same route.  I tried to stay with Regan at the beginning which was a BIG mistake.  Regan came through the first mile in 7:25 and I was right behind her at 7:30 pace.  I should have been coming through at about 8:45 pace, so I was going way too fast.  I was paying for that later in the race.  Regan did exceptionally well in her race and finished with a time of 26:30 and placed 3rd for her age group (14 and under) and 23rd overall (out of 108 runners)!!  I did pretty good too but it was not a personal best.  I ran my race in 1:57:14 and placed 2nd for my age group (35-39) and 59th overall (out of 172 runners).  I am happy with the results since I only had 7 weeks to train and ran by myself.  It was very special having such a wonderful cheering section and for Doug and Cook to see us run.  After the race, we dashed off to Riley's soccer game.  It was a busy and full day. 
 Before the race...
 Regan during our first mile...
 Trailing behind Regan...
 Regan nearing the finish and passing all the men.
 Regan gave it her all and did not let this lady ("cat") beat her!!

 Love this photo...
My cheering section...
Tony was on a bridge taking photos as I crossed the 6 mile mark
Looking good and happy here.  That changed after the 6th mile. 
Heading for the finish line...
Regan receiving her award for placing 3rd in her age group!!!

Nearing the finish and about to pass out!!!  Not looking as strong as Regan did at the finish. :)


Receiving my award for placing 2nd in my age group.
It was so wonderful to have Doug and Cook at our race!!!
Proud mama of her runner girl and that we both placed!!!
Riley giving her all at her soccer game.
Now Riley has a cheering section...
 On Sunday, Oct. 28th the Fernandez men went to the Nascar race in Martinsville, Va.  This was a very special day for the guys, since we were not sure they would be able to go to a race again due to Doug's illness.  God has blessed us in so many ways this past year and we are thankful for His love, provision, protection and healing!  The women and kids also had fun hanging out and catching up at our house.
On Monday, Tony and Joe took his parents to the shooting range.  They had a great time.  I love this photo of Cook!  It was such a special weekend and it was nice to all be together again after a year. 

No comments: